(This is how life with a newborn goes: I wrote this about a month ago and never got around to posting it because things have just been a little crazy and I forgot to take pictures. So please forgive my sloppiness on this one and try this chili anyways because it’s really good for you and yummy to boot!)
So every once in awhile I like a really healthy vegetarian dish. I also like to eat soup for lunch. I find that it is really filling and helps me get through the 3PM munchies which I seem to get EVERY day!! Soup is just so re-heatable which makes it great for lunch or dinner. One of my friends suggested this recipe so I gave it a try and I liked it too. Definitely going to add to my soup rotation.
Original recipe can be found at http://www.milkfreemom.com
Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili
2 -15 ounce can black beans
2-32 ounces cans vegetable broth (you can also use chicken broth)
1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon chili
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup dry quinoa
salt and pepper to taste
Your favorite chili garnishes: avocado, cilantro, cheese, and sour cream are some of mine!
1. Chop your onion and sweet potato and mince your garlic before you begin.
2. heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over med high heat and sauté onions until they are nice and brown. About 10 minutes.
3. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook another 2 minutes
5. Add 32 ounces of broth, black beans and sweet potato and cook for about 5 minutes.
6. Add quinoa and then simmer for 30-45 minutes or until your sweet potato is cooked through and quinoa is cooked. Add more broth as needed to keep chili from getting too thick.